About Us


HISTORY OF MEDICAL COLLEGE

The Government of Travancore in 1948 appointed a committee to formulate proposals for starting a Medical College at Trivandrum. The Committee submitted its report and the scheme was sanctioned in October 1948. Dr. C.O. Karunakaran was appointed Special Officer for the implementation of the scheme.

The College Campus has 139 acres (0.56 km2) of picturesque land with a number of hillocks surrounded by evergreen coconut groves and paddy fields, facing the sea which lies at a distance of three kilometers, and is located on the North – West border of the Trivandrum city. The College, is linked with the different sections of the city by bus routes, is very near the national highway NH 47 and the nearest railway station is just few kilometers from the college. The topographical layout and the architectural designs were prepared by Mr. J.A. Ritchie from Bombay. The College and the hospital buildings are separated by playgrounds for football, hockey, a cricket pitch, courts for tennis, basketball, badminton and volleyball and a 400 meter track.

The foundation stone of the College was laid by His Highness the Raja Pramuk of TravancoreCochin at 11:45 AM on 26-01-1950. The first batch of students was admitted in August 1951. The College was formally inaugurated by Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru at 8:00 AM on 27th Nov. 1951. In January 1952, the Sri. Avittom Thirunal Hospital ( SATH ) was inaugurated by Smt. Rajkumari Amrit Kaur. In 1952, men's hostel and 1year later women's hostel was also inaugurated. The Medical College Hospital was inaugurated by Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru on 1954.

The School of Nursing(http://www.contvm.org) was inaugurated by Her Highness Sethu Lakshmi Bai in 1954 and upgraded to College of Nursing in 1963. The Cancer block was inaugurated in 1958 and later after two decades the Regional Cancer Centre(http://www.rcctvm.org/), one of the premier cancer care centers in South India was established. The Dentistry course and the first post-graduate course commenced in 1959.

The sixties saw the establishment of library. The limb center, Mental hospital and Ophthalmic hospital were brought under Medical College administration. Later in nineties the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology(http://www.riotrivandrum.org/) came into existence. Over the years, the campus saw establishment of Sree Chitra Thirunal Centre, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Priya Darsini Institute of Paramedical Sciences, Silver Jubilee Auditorium and the Various hostels. The institution has thus grown to glorious proportions.

It is financed and administrated by Health and Family welfare Dept(http://www.kerala.gov.in/dept_health/health.htm), Govt. of Kerala. The Medical College is affiliated to the University of Kerala.. Trivandrum Medical College is the first medical college in Kerala. The college started with an annual admission of 60 students, which was increased to 200 in 1983. Now it is ranked among the top 20 medical colleges in the country.

A super-specialty block with state-of-the-art technology and modern equipments, exclusively housing all the medical and surgical super-specialties of the college, has been completed and has started functioning as the OP block of the super-specialties from July 1, 2010. It was funded under the Prime Minister's Swasthya Bheema Yojna scheme and by the State government. The 253-bed SS block, spread over 160,000 sq ft (15,000 m2) on seven floors, houses the outpatient clinics and inpatient wards of the six super specialties, eight operation theatres, 29-bed six intensive care units, haemo dialysis unit and renal transplant unit, apart from administrative blocks. Full fledged functioning of the complex will commence after its proposed dedication to the nation by the Prime Minister.

 

ESTABLISHMENT OF DEPARTMENTS

Initially the hospital started with departments of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and Bacteriology. These departments were headed by Dr. V. Mathew, Dr. C. Vareed, Dr. Narayana Rao and Dr. C. O. Karunakaran respectively. Department of Bacteriology consisted of Microbiology, Pathology and Hygiene initially. During the Asian flu epidemic, the department was in the forefront in isolating the Influenza virus under Prof. R. Ananthanarayanan. In 1981, an AIDS surveillance center was also established under the department. The Department of Community Medicine established in 1953 was the first of its kind in India. For field training, a Primary Health Centre was established in July 1953 at Cheruvikkal, which was shifted to Pangappara in 1964. Initially interns training were conducted at Indo Norwegian MCH unit at Neendakara. A Regional Cell for Prevention of Epidemic and Infectious Diseases is functioning in the Department. Forensic Medicine which was attached to Community medicine became a separate entity in 1966 under Dr. V. Kanthasamy. Medicolegal autopsies were undertaken since 1955 and the department was raised to the status of State Medico-legal Institute in 1986. The department of Pharmacology which initially catered pharmacy practicals later established an experimental pharmacology wing under Dr. Tyler.

The clinical departments of Medicine and Surgery were started along with the Medical College hospital in 1952. Initially the students had training at the General Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram. A separate department of Infectious Diseases was established in 1983. Dr.R.Kesavan Nair FRCS who was then the chief surgeon at General Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram was appointed as Prof. Of Surgery thus establishing the Department of Surgery. Recognizing the importance of the new specialty of orthopaedic surgery the then Government of Travancore sent Dr. K.I George from the health service Dept. to U.K on deputation for higher training. After acquiring requisite training he joined in the medical college in 1956 and founded the first Department of Orthopedics in Kerala.

The Department of Paediatrics, which was initially under General Medicine, has the highest number of patients in Kerala. The Obstetrics and Gynaecology departments were started in 1954 and later added to the Family Planning Clinic contraception testing unit, WHO training center and Infertility Clinic. The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation established in 1968 was a pioneering institution in the country for disability management and occupational diseases.

The superspecialty departments were established in 1965 with neurosurgery under Prof. M. Sambasivan, former President of WFNS. The Department of Cardiology was established in 1972 and nephrology in 1981. Medical and Surgical Gastroenterology units were established in 1972 and 1975 respectively.

 

OUR PRINCIPAL

Prof. (Dr) THOMAS MATHEW
MD, DPH,MBA, Faimer Fellow
Govt. Medical College
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala-695011
Ph: 0 9447144230

SUCCESSION LIST OF PRINCIPALS

Tenders

Re-Tenders are invited for running the Kitchen and canteen...

Course Particular

Comprehensive list of P.G or Post Graduate Medical...

Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, or in Latin:...

Emergency Enquiry

MCH Casualty
(24 hrs)
ph: 0471-2528300
MCH New OP Block
(8.00 am - 02.00 pm)
ph: 0471-2528469
OP SuperSpecialty Block
(8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
ph: 0471-2528448

Contact us

Trivandrum Medical College,              
Medical College PO,
Thiruvananthapuram,
Kerala State. India PIN - 695 011
Phone no : + 91- 471 -2528386
Email id : principal@tmc.kerala.gov.in
Email id : principalmct@gmail.com

Powered by Socius IGB